Saturday, October 14, 2006

Fairy Godmother




On the way to see the movie "Sweetland" I stopped the the store
Fairy Godmother at 38th and Grand in Minneapolis. I thought I'd only stay a few minutes and get to the Edina theater for the 4:40 show. She offers me some tea and cookies. There is cute stuff all over the place. I see a book, The book of answers. I ask my daily question - should I stay with him. The answer is something like do it early. Then the owner, an actual fairy godmother in a tiger gown (a sign - I was wearing my tiger hat) comes over.

She says, "What did you ask?"

I repeat what I said and I open the book again. This time it's something really postive. Ok, today I'll keep him I think. I ask her, does she really do fairy godmother work, you know like grant wishes.

"What do you need?"

I tell her about my boyfriend moving 100 miles away and how I feel like I've been abandoned. But he's working in a homeless shelter so I'm conflicted. And when I feel needy he pulls away from me and then it doesn't help. I just want to see him but he doesn't want to see me.

She asks if he love me, if I love him, would I move to where he is. And I'm crying like a baby.

"Have you thought of seeing someone like a marriage counselor?"

Yes, I have and me and the man have discussed it but there are a billion names in the phone book. Who would I pick. Of course the fairy godmother has a name. And gives it to me.

I stuff my teary kleenexes in my coat pocket and pay for a cute pop up card, The hard back version of the book of answers and some Florida water. That is one warm and gentle place. Later, the story of the movie.

No comments: