Sunday, August 30, 2009

MN State Fair Sonnet - Day 4

Mandoline Slicer demo at MN State Fair
Hucksters...
...Or anyone selling anything. Nearly every radio station and TV station has a booth at the fair. I am such a sucker for the newscasts at the fair because they’ll feature a new booth or new food. I may just have to get a Dole Whip this year just because Don and Amelia (of WCCO) love them. I miss the KLBB booth next to the roasted corn stand. We would get corn and listen to corny old music. My favorite KLBB moment was when a young hip intern, Brad Savage, was on the air some quiet weekend. All he said was, “I got two turntables and a microphone.” I was probably the only person listening who got the reference. We would tell our stories (like me taping the Super Saver show to send to a friend) to the lackeys running the KLBB booth and purchase all the souvenir crap they had.

I have dragged countless friends and relatives to the Chef Harvey booth for the same spiel. It’s the same guy, same spiel – although I can tell the regular guy sits out much more these days. The Ginzu knife guy, Sushi, Vitamix and anyone in the Grandstand is B list for me. But I still love them.

I've bought and really use a: broom, Micro fiber mop, sprinkler, matt cutter Swiss Peeler, German towel and much more. I love buying the newest gadget at the fair, because for the rest of the year (the unfair – like an unbirthday) I get to savior and play with the item until it because fair time again.

No comments: